Search This Blog

Saturday 1 October 2016

Yemen - Famine & War - UK Arms Trade Responsible

I'm old enough to have seen the extent of man's inhumanity to women & children as well as man. War is despicable and an admission of a failure to use our God given ability to communicate, think & be rational. War is failure on an epic scale. No one really wins & millions are killed, maimed & caused unimaginable suffering.

At the moment I am so angry I really can't put it into words. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch Channel 4's documentary, aired last night about Yemen - "Yemen’s forgotten war" and witness the horror of hunger.
www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/emergency-response/yemen-crisis?cid=psc_FB_Yemen&dclid=CMifiLrguc8CFQuJ7Qodwx4DJQ

 I cried throughout this programme with pity for the people, especially babies & toddlers. But also in frustration at the part the UK is playing in this. We are now the second biggest arms dealers in the world. We are fuelling the conflicts in the middle East & elsewhere & our companies are making billions from other people's suffering.

I am ashamed.

We are selling bombs & planes to Saudi Arabia & they are bombing the infrastructure for importing more than 90% of the food which Yemen depends on. Babies are dying slowly of malnutrition & people are starving. Medical treatment is virtually non existant & people have no money for medicine.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-is-now-the-second-biggest-arms-dealer-in-the-world-a7225351.html 
https://www.caat.org.uk/get-involved/act-now/lobby/91

I have sent a letter to my MP, I have signed a petition, I have sent money, I have shared on Facebook - Big Deal! I know it it isn't enough, but I don't know what else to do. It is so frustrating.

There must be effective ways to stop all this madness in the world today - but what? Politicians are obviously not the answer. People do have power if they act together in sufficient numbers. But how do you achieve that?

No comments:

Post a Comment