Search This Blog

Thursday 20 October 2016

A Night at the Opera - Glyndebourne's "Saul" by Handel

I went to my local "Picture House" yesterday to see the Glyndebourne production of Handel's "Saul". This is probably the earliest opera I have seen, written about a hundred years after Montiverdi began the operatic tradition.

Saul is a Baroque opera, nothing like the more familiar Romantic operas of Rossini & Donizetti, the Comedia operas of Mozart, the Verismo of Puccini for example. I really don't know enough about opera - I'm sure you could study it for years, so I'll stop there.

I do know that "Saul" was written as an Oratorio so directors can pretty much do as they wish with it because the production is not written down. This production was visually stunning from the outset. The vivid & beautiful costumes, the clever & eyecatching sets, the superb chorus & visually arresting dancing were all a joy & a delight. I did think that some of the dance movements were too modern for Handel, but that's probably nit picking. The singing from both the soloists & the wonderful chorus was bright & alive - As was the superb orchestra.

To be an opera star now you have to have more than a good voice. You have to be able to act well, the cameras are up close & personal. You can't get away with the woodenness of Pavarotti for example. You also have to be able to move well - Principals  have to be able to dance & sing at the same time, just like pop stars.

What I didn't like was some of the more gratuitous elements. The introduction of Homo Erotic relationsghips & male kissing - the, for me very off putting, appearance of the male witch of Endor who is portayed as hermaphrodite with pendulous boobs which Saul suckles. Seeing milk dribbling from his mouth & then being expressed over his head really put me off. What on earth did that add to the story apart from inches of press coverage?

As a long time opera lover I am getting a bit p.....off by the seemingly increasing liberties taken with productions in the name of art. I'm sure some directors can justify themselves with pretentious drivel, but the bottom line seems to me to be exactly that - Generating prurient interest & bums on seats.

I wish they would just let the music & the story speak for themselves. I really don't mind innovation & new interpretations. I do mind rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment