Search This Blog

Sunday 9 October 2016

"Things I Know to be True"

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty - that is all ye know on earth & all ye need to know" Keats

I ushered at "Things I Know to be True" at the Oxford Playhouse last night. It was a wonderful performance. It managed the difficult task of being funny, honest & touchingly sad at the same time. The cast of six were all excellent. It made me think - about family realtionships, about what I know to be true.

When it comes down to it if I was to make a list of things I really know are true it would probably be very short - We are born, we die. We love & hate & experience all the emotions in between. If we are lucky we make relationships that enrich our lives. However we can never really know someone else. All of us keep something back. We all have secrets. We all massage the truth at times in our lives, often because we don't want to hurt someone else.

The only truth I  really know is my own truth - What I think, what my values are, what matters to me. We are all capable of deluding ourselves, but I believe that at some level we do know ourselves. The good & the bad.

We all have choices to make about which path to take. Our decisions shape us into adults. We don't live in isolation, everything we do or don't do affects others. 

If we were all able to be "true" in the real sense of the word maybe the world would be a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment