Search This Blog

Monday 17 October 2016

A Dog is for Life 2 - Bandit

I'm not at all sure that it's going to work with Bandit for several reasons, none of which were the ones I anticipated.

He hasn't messed in the house or destroyed anything. He hasn't seemed too bothered about being left overnight. I've managed to take him out for walks regularly enough & he is fine on the lead, although he doesn't respond to commands from me as well as his handlers.

It's me not him I think. I anticipated enjoying having a dog around, but don't really like the continual presence of something needy that I have to watch continuously. He is very agile & hyper & will need constant training not to jump on furniture. He doesn't settle & is into everything. Although well behaved at the Blue Cross, he's not so good here. It's a very different environment.

I found our first morning very difficult. I don't feel good first thing & got up earlier than usual so I could take him out for a walk, which was an effort. I really didn't feel well. It's early days I suppose, but I think I am too accustomed to being on my own now & being able to completely relax when I'm tired.

But it is only the first day. I think I will give it a week. A dog really is for life & I may have left it too late in mine to adjust to a new one.

PS
Spoke too soon. After taking him out @ 7.15 & again mid morning I got back from 1 1/2 hrs  swimming at lunchtime to find a big puddle in the kitchen. Seems illogical - how can you tell how long you can leave a dog?


No comments:

Post a Comment