Search This Blog

Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Politics - Optics, Expectation & Andy Burnham

I'm not sure what I feel about Andy Burnham. He is certainly very different from Starmer, but what needs to be done will be extremely unpopular, very costly & take a very long time. Time will tell whether he is the one to do it. I really hope he is.

A change in optics is welcome. Starmer & Rachel (from accounts) Reeves came in telling us repeatedly how dire everything was. It was true, the conservatives single handedly almost destroyed everything they touched over 14 years. But it started way back with Thatcher in 1979. If you don't agree just research the effects of privatisation & think about your own water company. 

I do think that politicians must give people an honest, clear & evidenced picture of the state of the nation. How can we judge what part we need to play individually - How can we know what to expect to happen & their proposed solutions & accept them if they don't? I just seriously doubt that many have the ability to communicate that well.

Things are in deep trouble here & internationally. There are multitudes of conflicting demands & pressures. Running a country & a world must be frighteningly complex. Unpopular choices will have to be made & we will have to accept them even if they cause us pain. 

When politicians talk about change I worry. Having a new shiny PM will, not of itself, solve all of this. No one is that good & we shouldn't expect it. This will take an end to party politicking & real cooperation between the best in all parties & people outside politics with relevant skills & experience. I can't see any evidence that anyone in UK politics can see that, never mind actually do it. 

Maybe the first step is to come clean. Maybe each government ministry should produce a public brief of where we are now. Not a historical gripe about what different parties have done wrong, but a clear indication of the issues facing them & the possible solutions. In order for governments to govern they have to have consensus. They have to be able to get the people to accept very difficult choices. They have to stop thinking about being re-elected. 

I simply don't believe that our current system is capable of all of this. Not least because of the intense speculation, voicing of opinions & media circus we live in. Burnham has been in for just one day & already it has started. 

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/3840x2160/6030758-Alan-W-Black-Quote-This-is-definitely-a-reality-check-for-us-we-ve-just-got-to-learn.jpg 

It's really depressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment