Search This Blog

Saturday 1 April 2017

Seville in the Sunshine

I've just had 4 days in Seville with M. Everything worked really smoothly - even the M25. When I think back to how difficult it used to be arranging independent holidays with my husband, doing it all on the internet is amazingly simple & reliable. Gone are the days of dire hotels, no one dares to lie or exaggerate now we have Trip Advisor. No hanging around in queues to check in, not only can you book your flight, now you can get your return boarding passes too. We didn't even have to show our passports until the boarding lounges - except when we came back into the UK where the queues were huge for UKPA. They did move quickly through the biometric scanners though.

I think M & I are very lucky. We have a city mini break every year & never have any problems deciding what to do because we know we both enjoy the same things. It is lovely to be able to share the experience with someone you get on really well with. Fortunately we both do take quite a while looking at arts & crafts, architecture & gardens & talking about what we are seeing over a nice meal & a glass or two of wine. Finding someone compatable to travel with is great, especially if it is your daughter. There is little worse than going on holiday with someone you think you know well & discovering you don't get on.

Seville is a lovely city - very walkable - although I am getting to the point when my spirit far outstrips my flesh & ambling requires determination & is definitely more challenging. We particularly liked the Real Alcazar, Casa Pilatos, Barrios Triana & Santa Cruz & the Plaza De Espania. M had been told about Las Setas (the mushrooms) which opened in 2011 - 6 giant, interlinked parasols forming an aerial walkway with wonderful views over the whole of Seville.

My only problem with Spain is their brand of Catholicism - I don't think the Catholic church has fully grasped the idea of giving to the poor. The unbelieveble, in your face, wealth displayed in the churches, (e.g the silver & gold Reredos) offends my sense of fairness  & seems to have nothing to do with God, Jesus or Christianity. But I'm probably too much of a heathen.
Image result for Seville cathedral reredos

No comments:

Post a Comment