Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Control Freaks & Syria

My younger self wasn't exactly OCD, but I definitely tried to be in control of my life, (& probably the life of others). I wrote lists, kept a diary,  tried to anticipate possible outcomes & planned in advance for most eventualities. My older & wiser self realises that we are not in control of much at all. Life happens to us despite our best efforts.

I am still reasonably organised, but can accept what happens & hopefully deal with it. I don't dwell in the past, I try to live now. I have my own moral compass, but accept that it isn't the same as everyone else's.

Diversity is good. Everyone cannot agree about everything.

But - surely we can agree that dropping nerve gas on people is abhorrent. If that is true - surely we can also agree that we have to take action against regimes who ignore the rule of law. Law should be enforcable. Otherwise what's the point? If we do nothing we are complicit & condone the action. Words are not enough.

We know we cannot completely control rogue, criminal regimes. War is not an option. However an organisation which stands by & does nothing worthwhile because of one or two vetos by questionable regimes seems to me to be an organisation which is failing. I know it's very complex. It shouldn't be insoluble.

This isn't the first time that NATO has failed to act. We should do something about ensuring that it is the last. NATO should accept a majority vote for action & marginalise the countries who repeatedly block justifiable responses to atrocities.

Otherwise what's the point?


No comments:

Post a Comment