Search This Blog

Monday 3 April 2017

A Month is a Long Time

My accident was a month ago today. I still have no memory of the day at all until late evening in the JR hospital. The general consensus is that it may be a good thing, but I would like to know. My impression is that my memory generally is worse than it was.

The facial bruising & swelling has gone, but I still have a tender vertical ridge, (of bone?), up my forhead from the bridge of my nose. I wake with a generalised headache some mornings, but it goes once I get up. I also get headaches when I'm tired, but nothing like as bad as after the accident.

The main problem is my left arm & shoulder & my neck. Movement is better, but is still limited & painful even though I'm taking quite strong painkillers. Dressing & undressing, showering & washing my hair, driving..... all the day to day things you take for granted are difficult. I still can't do back crawl, only breast stroke & sculling on my back, but at least I can swim - UPDATE I did a few lengths of back crawl today - really pleased. The pain is worth the gain. I don't want permanent reduced range of movement & am assuming that exercise will lengthen the tendons / ligaments. 

I am trying to be positive & not let all this dominate my life. I have so many things to be thankful for. I am annoyed though, that someone else's thoughtlessness, which was so utterly predictably dangerous, has caused me so much pain & affected my life so much. If this was just an accident, like falling down the stairs, it would be different. This shouldn't have happened.

On the other hand, that's life. It's unpredictable & sometimes unfair. We shouldn't take the good stuff for granted. Carpe Diem because we don't know how many Diem's we are going to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment