Search This Blog

Friday 14 April 2017

Ovarian Cancer ???

I went for an ultrasound scan this week, which morphed into a vaginal camera examination. (Not particularly pleasant I have to say, but fortunately not an SLR!). It was all very professional & the male radiologist was lovely.

There are "cysts" on my ovaries which require a blood test to see if there is a cancer marker - (Being done next week with my routine INR test). Apparently women don't normally develop ovarian cysts after the menopause, which for me was way back in my late 40's. Mine are over the size which triggers concern, but not huge. Isn't it amazing that they can see all of that with modern health technology? They can even tell if the "cysts" are hard or soft.

My GP rang me the day after to explain a bit more than the radiologist did. (I hadn't twigged that there was a possibility of cancer). She referred me to a Gynaecologist & there will be an appointment within two weeks. All very reassuring & I'm not losing any sleep over it at all.

My friend emailed to say two of her friends have died recently from ovarian cancer. It's not something I know much about. But I know a man who does - Mr Google.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-ovary/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
Today you can even get the statistics on disease. It doesn't look too bad to me.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/ovarian-cancer#heading-Zero

I'm not being brave - I just think that it's pointless to worry about something that I have no control over & which may never happen. Either way they will just be removed surgically. I am impressed with our NHS which we take so much for granted. This has all happened in a couple of days. I feel the professionals know their job & are doing it to the best of their ability in the current circumstances of cuts & deficits.

What does worry me is the fact that my unfortunately extensive personal experience of the NHS leads me to believe that it is actually over the tipping point of viability. When I had my accident nearly 6 weeks ago there were no ambulances available to take me to hospital with a head injury & concussion. I suspect I was discharged late in the evening because there were also not any beds available to keep me in. Hospitals are in £2.45 billion deficit. The need is growing but there isn't enough money or beds & medics are in short supply.

We need to wake up & force our politicians to do something about this. I have never met anyone who isn't prepared to pay a little more in taxes for vital services like the NHS. The medics need our support.

No comments:

Post a Comment