Search This Blog

Monday 24 April 2017

Ovarian Cancer - Maybe

I've had the blood test, (ca125), that shows a marker for cancer, but I don't have the marker.
http://www.targetovariancancer.org.uk/information-and-support/what-ovarian-cancer/diagnosis-and-tips-seeing-your-gp/ca125-blood-test
That apparently doesn't mean that I don't have cancer & if I did have the marker I don't think it means that I definitely would have it. So not conclusive at all.

Today I went to the Cancer & Haemotology clinic & saw a very nice Italian doctor. The clinic was extremely busy - Busier than any other clinic I've been to. I had to wait over an hour for my actual appointment & people were being called all the time. The staff are continuously busy, it must be exhausting.

The Doctor went through everything very thoroughly. "Cysts" 5-6 cms, so bigger than I thought. On both ovaries. The surgery will be keyhole (Laparotomy / oscopy?) Apparently they take the ovaries in a bag & pierce the actual "cyst" so it's small enough to pull back out of the incision, but can't contaminate any other part of the body. Amazing. What use do I have for ovaries? A biopsy will tell whether they are benign or cancerous. A general anasthetic & I'll probably be in hospital overnight because of my age.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Ovarian-cyst/Pages/Treatment.aspx

It turned out that I had been referred to the wrong clinic, so I have to go again on Friday to see the consultant gynaecologist. I think this is more a courtesy thing, so I get to meet the actual surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment