Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Blind as a Bat 2

Well - if anyone out there has to have a cataract operation I'm proof that you don't need to worry at all. It is a pain free, straightforward & quick procedure with almost miraculous results.

Taken to & from hospital by my lovely daughter. In hospital from 8am for just over 3 hours, actual op about 20 minutes. Lots of drops beforehand to numb the eye & one injection which doesn't hurt a bit. Couldn't see anything of the actual surgery because the head is under a little oxygenated tent with just one opening for the eye to be operated on. Images are blurred in this eye & all I saw was bright light & shadows. Felt absolutely nothing.

Afterwards I was a bit unsteady on my feet, vision was blurred, & I had disconcerting double vision. This made it look as if there were 2 roads of traffic coming directly towards me on the drive home. (Daughter driving, not me!)

The eye felt a bit gritty & I was quite tired once I got home. The vision improved hourly & in the end I removed the fetching little eye patch because in fact it was stopping me seeing almost perfectly.

Today I had slept well, managed a shower & also got the drops in without any trouble. Virtually back to normal, except I can now see distance really clearly in the eye. Having worn glasses since primary school this is wonderful. All this without a long wait & delivered by a very competent team of professionals. Well done NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment