Search This Blog

Monday 7 March 2011

Swimathon

I'm doing this for Marie Curie Cancer care. Nothing exceptional - a mile done in 2 x 32 length sessions. Because I can't swim after the cataract ops I've already done the swims. For the first time I'm managing the sponsorship on their website and I'm most impressed with what a win win situation it is. I really dislike having to put family, friends & neighbours on the spot to sponsor me. This way there is none of the moral blackmail. I send Marie Curie's email to selected email addresses & they can either sponsor me for as much or as little as they like, or ignore the request. I'm really delighted I have already more than doubled my modest target.

My Dad died of lung cancer & my daughter's best friend, who is also a lovely friend of mine, has terminal lung cancer too. I've seen the effect of this terrible disease first hand, also the hugely beneficial work done by charities in providing palliative care. It sems wrong to me that this care has to be provided by charities in a wealthy Western society. Everyone should have access to good palliative care. But while this situation exists we need to support the charities.

No comments:

Post a Comment