Search This Blog

Monday 22 February 2016

A New Ensuite Bathroom

I started the process of chosing a new bathroom in September. I ordered it in October & confirmed the installer in November. The installer, R H, came to begin this morning - A good installer is busy months in advance.

It's truly amazing how long these things take. The whole process is long winded. You have to look at a lot of bathroom showrooms, talk to a lot of salespeople & installers to know exactly what you want. In the beginning you don't know the questions to ask or what is available. If the people are good they think of things that you wouldn't have done. Each conversation moved me forward & opened up new possibilities. Looking through catalogues revealed just how much choice there is.

In the end, my designer / supplier A K, came up with a great design, which will make my very small ensuite much, much, better. He has moved the WC to a different position & it will be wall hung, so a much more comfortable height for me. There is going to be a built in cupboard over the WC with a built in mirror & shaver point. (My current ensuite doesn't have one at all). I won't have my knees up against the pedastal & my face in the washbasin! (Useful when you have a sickness & diahorrea bug though!)

I'm also having a wall hung washbasin with a wall hung cupboard under for storage. I won't have to bend double to wash my face or splash water all over the floor. I'm 5ft 8ins, so I hate pedastal basins. They are designed for children & midgets.

The real joy of wall hung is that you can easily mop the whole floor - Well, my cleaner can.

The "piece de resistance" is the shower enclosure. The existing one was a curved corner shower you had to climb into. It was far too small & I banged my arms every time I showered. I'm having a completely tiled "wet room" with two 1m bi-fold doors at right angles to make a square shower area. Because these doors fold right back to the wall the whole floor space is available except when I shower. As I live on my own I can only do one thing at a time, wash, use the WC or shower. The whole room will be available for the majority of the time & will look far more spacious.

Whoever chose the existing matt khaki coloured floor & wall tiles in a tiny ensuite with no natural light had no idea or taste. The new tiles, plus an additional downlight, will make the whole room much lighter & more pleasant to be in.

A new bathroom isn't cheap. But you use it every single day & I'm worth it.







                        

No comments:

Post a Comment