Search This Blog

Monday 29 February 2016

A new Ensuite - 4

Monday

Beginning of the 2nd week. RH arrived promptly at 7.30 having not resolved the problem of his swollen thumb since Friday. It is a worry for trades people, they rely on being physically fit.

We had a discussion about the wall hung wash basin - which he didn't realise had to be higher than the previous one & moved to a more central position on the wall. Good job he had asked me about whether to remove the tiles, because if he hadn't I would have assumed that he knew. As it is I now realise that the basin itself is the same compact size that I am using in the spare bedroom ensuite. It's too small for someone who likes to splash their face when they wash. You end up banging against the central tap & getting water everywhere. Why the manufacturers don't give you the option of a tap offset on one side I can't imagine. Why do women think of practicalities & function & men don't?

So I texted the designer AK & asked for options before we open the packaging so it can be returned & exchanged. Went to showroom to look at bigger alternative basin which also has a cupboard underneath. Dithered because the new tap is smaller & doesn't project into the basin as much as the one I'm using.

Decisions, decisions. You really need to be around when work is being done on the house to try to anticipate problems before they become real issues. I don't know how people having work done can just leave it to the builders.

I also don't understand why men are averse to forward planning, making lists & ensuring they have everything they need before they start a job. Or is it just a way of having a break, which I can understand - sort of. Anyway RH left at lunchtime again. On the other hand the sealant gunge does have to "go off" before he can start tiling.

When I said how much I was looking forward to getting back into my bedroom on Friday there was a long pause. Apparently I shouldn't look forward to it too much! Up to that point he had been pleased at how well & how quickly the job was going!

No comments:

Post a Comment