Search This Blog

Friday 3 June 2011

Windows - A poem

I look out of my window.
I see my face reflected in space,
Imprisoned in glass,
Distorted by prisms of light.
Bound by a framework so rigid nothing can destroy it.


Separated from freedom
By a fragile wall
I am incapable of destroying.


I can see light, air, space.
Birds soar in the air.
Trees sway delicately in the wind.


I move only within constraints.
My mind is free,
But serves no useful purpose,
At odds with my body.


A feeble moth,
Wings beating in futility.
Drawn to the light
And ultimately destroyed by it.


My reflected face seems to hover
Between the confines within
And the tantalising expanse I can see.


Why don't I break the crystal wall,
Move outwards,
Accept the invitation?


I touch the cold, intractable divide.
Withdraw.
Humiliated in defeat.



Val Carlill

No comments:

Post a Comment