Search This Blog

Friday 17 June 2011

"No wo/man is an island"

Quote - John Donne

Second cataract done on Tuesday. I was delivered like a parcel & collected by my good friends & neighbours Sarah & Dick. Now I'm single it's all so different. David was, if anything, over protective when I was ill or had hospital appointments. But I always knew there was someone there to care for me, even if the caring was liberally laced with black humour.

I can remember thinking "I don't need him to do this" at times. But it isn't a question of actual need. It's a question of demonstrating love & caring. Sharing & supporting in the difficult times. Now it isn't there I realise it's value.

The practicalities can usually be got over, there are taxi's. But very few of us really want to be completely alone when we are ill or recuperating. It's just nice to have someone around to make a cup of tea & cheer us up & be there in case things should go wrong.

Dottie & David came armed with lunch & flowers the day after surgery. It was a hilarious afternoon & probably aided my recovery more than anything else could have. Anne emailed & came for a coffee. Friends who are intuitively aware of what you need are indeed rare. Those who will put themselves out to do it are even rarer.

We are social animals. We do not thrive if we are alone. So I'm going to join a choir, even though I can't sing. Singing is good for your health too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment