Search This Blog

Thursday 16 June 2011

High Maintenence Woman

I'm definitely not - but my life is. Since I've been on my own I've had:-
  • 5 Plumbing problems
  • 6 Electrical problems
  • 2 Building problems
  • 2 Joinery problems
  • 2 TV problems
  • 1 Mower problem
+ Several scrapes in the car requiring bodywork - not mine thankfully.  (Probably because I couldn't see properly due to the cataracts). And these are only the ones that I can remember!

None of these was major, all were irritating, time consuming & caused me some degree of inconvenience & worry. All needed the attention of "a man who can". All could be solved because I can afford to pay the "man who can".

What I find baffling is the fact that, like buses, they arrived in clusters. So I could have dealt happily with one at a time, but had to cope with several at once. Commonly known as "S... Law".

The other thing I don't understand is that it seems to me that when Dave was alive we didn't have problems like this. Am I being tested for sainthood? Unlikely. Or is it just that Dave dealt with "stuff" like this, so it really didn't impact on my life? So in the same way that his clothes magically appeared in his wardrobe washed & ironed by the Persil fairy, all these little maintenence issues were sorted by him.

I now know that I can deal with all of this - but I'd rather not. I try hard not to stress when a problem arises, but say to myself I have dealt with all the problems so far, so chances are I will deal with anything else that arises. It's just all very wearing & it would be really nice to have someone to share the load with. Even if it was only to talk it through with. Independence & self reliance is great, but there is a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment