Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 March 2020

Corona - Pre "Lock Down"

Covid 19 / Corona moves on apace. It is now affecting everyone everywhere.

It seems ironic that having come through the deepest Financial meltdown starting in 2007 & lasting 10 years, then surviving Brexit, we now have to face a worldwide serious Pandemic.

In my little world this is how it's affecting me:-
  • I had to withdraw from being a volunteer usher at the Oxford Playhouse last week, because I'm in the "at risk" group - The theatre has now closed down sadly.
  • I've done my last stint as a volunteer receptionist at our local Community Centre - They too are closing now anyway.
  • The school where I swim 4/5 times a week has stopped us from swimming, although they are still open for the moment.
  • I've been in semi, self isolation for a week - Just going out occasionally to shop for food, (but the shelves are bare).
  • I've ordered a months worth of all my medication so I don't have to go out for it once it's in.
  • I've created a Covid 19 / Corona file on my computer for all the information that is bombarding us.
  • I've got contact details for several local groups who are offering help for people like me who are going to be in self isolation for 3 months.
  • I've registered for the "Out of hours" membership of the library so I can go in when no one is there.
  • Despite the fact that the local Sainsburys supermarket has been visited by plagues of locusts since last week & even the shops round the corner are denuded of almost everything I want, I have a reasonably full freezer & larder cupboard. I am appalled at the totally unnecessary, utter selfishness, of panic buying.
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/5e6f27526e470_yk3l4obfunm41__700.jpg

I'm trying to think positively. I'm looking on this as an opportunity to have the tidiest cupboards, get rid of excess stuff & paperwork, read all my books, listen to radio 4 more & do something more creative. I intend to keep fit by learning how to line dance using YouTube.

I will miss proper physical contact with people, but I am fairly good on a computer so can keep in touch. I will miss swimming hugely, but can maybe slip out in the depths of the night & walk. I will really miss seeing my daughter & Grandsons. Living alone is already bad enough.
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/13-5e6f81bf44603__700.jpg

2 comments:

  1. That’s brave Val! I’m going to reorganise my cupboards and files (no excuses now!) and write stories. Interesting days indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not brave Mochaval - Brave is the people on the front line. My hope is that this will permanently change the way we all live our lives so we fight the bigger ecological crisis. Stay safe, Keep well.

    ReplyDelete