Search This Blog

Saturday 7 March 2020

The Neediness of Inert Objects - Tech & Robotics

I have just gone through the annoyingly time consuming process of renewing my house insurance. Having done all the checking on switching sites, you then have to negotiate with your current provider to get them to give you a similar deal to the one offered by the websites. You certainly can't take for granted that the price they have quoted is a reasonable one. To be fair, my current provider isn't bad at all.

However I will soon have to do exactly the same thing with my car insurance. Then there is banking too.

It all seems to much of a burden, which I would like to be rid of. Both my car & my house seem to be overly needy of my time & attention.

Society has become infinitely more complex in my lifetime. But so have our individual lives simultaneously. Thank goodness we have interconnectivity I thought. Then I also thought, that very interconnectivity is responsible for leeching away our time & effort.

Mobile phones, tablets, laptops, desktops are all miracles of technology, but we have allowed them to become our masters not our servants. We all spend far too much time in front of a screen of some sort. Answering & sending emails, researching, using social media, keeping up with news in a way completely unheard of just a few years ago.

Computers in all their forms are the neediest inert objects. They sap our lives, demand our attention like difficult children. We have allowed this stealthy stealing of our time to happen to a point where we are addicted to constant information & stimulation.

Mothers push children in pushchairs on their phones, not talking to the children. People in restaurants will interact with phones whilst having a supposedly social meal with others.

We are experiencing the frightening rise of robots - humanoid, animal & industrial, to name a few.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_robotics
The whole point of some of these robots is to replace living relationships.

That is the extreme form of the "neediness of inert objects" & I think it is truly frightening.
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F634117042%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

No comments:

Post a Comment