Search This Blog

Saturday 21 March 2020

Corona - Isolation

It's the weekend - My home has become my world for 3 months.

The Government response to Covid 19 shows what a dangerous situation we are in. This is a war against an unseen enemy, which will probably change not just my life, but the world we live in - hopefully for the better. I believe the way we have been living was completely unsustainable, so this is an opportunity.

We have, what is possibly a one off chance, to re-evaluate both individually & collectively. Each one of us must use the time this war against the virus gives us, to really think about what we do, how we do it & what harm we are doing with our daily habits.

I simply can't envisage how my life will play out, on my own every day, until the tail end of June. I'm optimistic I will be self sufficient, with a little help from people who can still be outside to shop for me. Obviously I will miss direct contact - We humans are social animals. But I won't be completely cut off because of technology.

I have tried to log on to delivery websites. They are all unavailable & not taking new customers. Obviously I can't go to a big supermarket even if they are opening first thing for people like me. I know of comunity help groups in my area who may shop for me. I have a daughter who lives locally who will shop, providing they don't get the virus.

I'm nowhere near panic, but I am concerned. This is not something I anticipated, although I think I should have. My main concern is what this will do to social cohesion, such as it is. I fear that people will panic. Fear will win. There will be civil unrest.

I am basically an optimist. I believe in the triumph of good over evil. This will be a real test of that optimism, of world governments & big business.
https://www.brainyquote.com/photos_tr/en/e/edmundburke/377528/edmundburke1-2x.jpg 

2 comments:

  1. We will have lots of time to think and write. We are in the same boat but at least we are two together. I am not anticipating that I won’t be able to shop for food, unless I become infected. Are UK social isolation rules stricter? Certainly no travel, gym or swimming (unless I can go to an outdoor pool). It’s a huge adjustment, especially for younger people. We are already living very quietly due to Rick’s health issues so it won’t affect us too much. And I already work from home. Keep well Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are about to pass emergency legislation giving the government special powers. The army are on standby. It will be reviewed every 6 months. Society as we know it has closed down. I haven't been out for days. I'm relatively self sufficient at the moment & quite relaxed about isolation. I'm used to it! Take care & keep well both of you.

    ReplyDelete