Search This Blog

Monday 15 January 2018

Birthdays - Spoilt Rotten?

Oddly I can't remember ever having a birthday cake when I was a child or adolescent. Nor can I remember having a birthday party. There certainly were not the presents which everyone gives & receives nowadays. Nothing much happened for either my 18th or 21st.

It could be a poor memory, but even if I'm suffering from dementia I would have thought that old memories would remain. It could well be that my parents couldn't afford a party - Money was definitely tight. Maybe birthday parties weren't the thing for my immediately post war generation. I imagine that the austerity lasted for many years. My mother was German & my father came from a mining community, so I doubt that birthday celebrations were big in either families.

I also think that because my birthday comes so soon after Christmas it meant that Christmas was the focus of celebration & gift giving. When I was married it was difficult for my husband to find something exciting to do in January. I do remember many cold, wet or even snowy days doing something outside. For most of our early years we weren't at all well off, so a restaurant was not something we even considered.

Maybe because of all that I have always wanted to be spoilt rotten & surprised. But my logical self knows that that is difficult to do, especially for a husband of my generation.

So, today is my birthday, hence the reflection. It's a bit late now for the spoiling rotten. However I did have a lovely birthday weekend thanks to my daughter & family. Lunch with daughter on Saturday,  (then chosing her 50th birthday present). Sunday was a really nice birthday tea with daughter, son in law & one grandson. (Unfortunately the other one was in school). Lots of presents & a scrummy cake. Today I really enjoyed opening all my cards over breakfast - A reminder of all my friends.

Maybe I'll have to learn to spoil myself rotten.
Image result for jokes about birthdays getting old

No comments:

Post a Comment