Search This Blog

Sunday 7 January 2018

Birthday - Friends are better than Gifts.

Another one approaching! Age makes you contemplative.

Just chatted on the phone to two friends, one who was 90 a couple of days ago. She is always very happy, interested & interesting, bright & intelligent - A real pleasure to be with & talk to. The other one is in a similar situation to me & we can discuss anything. Two friends came for drinks on Friday & the conversation was hilarious - champagne might have had something to do with it, but I don't think so. Another two friends came to stay recently & we are always very relaxed & able to talk very openly about our lives.

Good friends are really rare. People who have similar interests, or who you can disagree with without compromising the friendship. People who are interested in you & really want to know about your life, not just download about themselves. You have to work at real friendships & relationships. You have to give friendship the gift of time. It isn't a question of buying gifts & spending money. Life is full of acquaintances, that's nice but not the same.

A birthday should be special, but I don't really need or want any presents. Cards are nice because you know that people are thinking about you. It is always a pleasure to see people, but that isn't possible with most of my friends. We phone, email & maybe text. I am used to not seeing my micro family actually on my birthday, but there will be a birthday tea at some point.

I know I'm lucky to have good friends. It's even more important when you live alone. People really do need people. We are social animals.

"๐Ÿ˜ŠA friend is like a book, you don't need to read all of them, just pick the best ones๐Ÿ˜‡"



No comments:

Post a Comment