Search This Blog

Friday 7 March 2014

A new kitchen - delivery complications

Good news, the kitchen arrived, as promised, first thing this morning. Bad news, there was barely enough room to get all the boxes in the kitchen / diner, despite the fact that I had arranged for a fitter to dismantle the old kitchen and take it away yesterday. Some boxes are in the sitting room which was already pretty full of the contents of the cupboards. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had left it to Wren to dismantle & remove the old kitchen. There simply would not have been enough room.

Worse news, all of the worktops were missing. The delivery men said to chase it up with the Oxford store. When I did, they said that the worktops had been out of stock for some time & they didn't know when / if they would be coming in. The scenario of a beautiful but unusable kitchen at the end of next week seemed highly likely. What I don't understand is why I'm having the problem now, a couple of days before fitting? Why had no one told me? Then the manager got back to me and said the worktops were being made today & would be couriered to me by about 4.30. Relief - I really liked the worktops I'd chosen. It's now 5pm & they haven't arrived yet - not holding my breath. Just had a phone call, they will be here by 7.15. (The fact that I'm going out this evening makes it all a bit close to the wire, but Wren doesn't have to worry about that).

On the other hand, really good news. I have identified the floor tiles that are in the whole of the ground floor. This is crucial because I discovered, when the old kitchen came out, that the existing ones don't go fully under a boxed in area which is going to be removed. The chances of finding the right tiles, still in stock, somewhere in Oxford, seemed pretty remote. But, hey, something has to go right for a change. The staff at Manoli tiles are wonderful. It's just so nice to have people who put themselves out for you. The wonderful lady, whose name I don't know, patiently went through all the orders in 2006 to find the one for my house. I can't check properly to see if they are right, because I can't lift them out of my boot. But I'm reasonably confident.

Hey Ho another day of chaos & fire fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment