Search This Blog

Monday 17 March 2014

A new Kitchen - Site Meeting.

I rang and asked for a site meeting with the showroom & installation managers this morning, after I discovered from the fitter that there are 2 documents which I've never seen, never mind had copies of  - An installation Summary, about joinery, plumbing, gas & electric installation etc & a Guide to Supplimentary Works Charges. A copy of the Initial Assessment had also not been given me. Most of the issues which have arisen would have been avoided if I had been given these in advance. I would have known exactly what Wren's responsibilities were & what I should arrange privately.

A "full and frank discussion" ensued about all the problems I've had. A lot of stuff came to light as well as the documents. So now, hopefully, Wren, the fitter & I all know what's got to be done, who's got to do it & who's paying. (Not me).  It probably won't be finished before Thursday. Then my decorator has to come in before the final cornices & splashbacks are installed. At that point I will have a beautiful, new, designed by me kitchen - Maybe.

It's all about giving information in a timely way, communication & oversight / project management. Especially when Wren admit that it's a bigger, more complex kitchen than they normally fit. I've been flagging up the problems all week in writing. As they say - it's not "rocket science". The thing is I've ended up being irritated, frustrated & inconvenienced because I didn't have enough information to be able to ask the right questions.

Apparently, on some paperwork, which I didn't have, someone anticipated that the job might take 7 working days. I've always thought it was 5. So there is built in aggravation there & Wren don't do a schedule of works / timeline like most builders I've worked with.

It's such a shame, because I think the product is good. I actually think the fitter is experienced & does a good job. It's the admin / organisation which is rubbish & when you are camping out, eating take aways, in a mess, anything which prolongs that is bad news. But then, "no pain, no gain".

No comments:

Post a Comment