Search This Blog

Monday 4 November 2013

Sods Law

Sod's law is a name for the axiom of "bad fortune will be tailored to the individual" and "anything that can go wrong, will" usually used sympathetically. In America Murphy's Law is more popular & polite.
Conversely good fortune will occur in spite of the individual's actions. This broadens Sod's law to a general sense of being "mocked by fate" - the irony of fate. The moral is let no stone be left unturned & don't accept an uncaring uninfluenceable fate.

In the last 2 months I have felt that Sod's law has perversely singled me out despite my best OCD efforts to leave no stones unturned.

Today for instance:-
  • My car was supposed to be collected for repair & a courtesy car should have been delivered today. (Man reversed into the side of my car while it was parked, unoccupied, on a street. So his insurance is paying). My car taken away, but no courtesy car on job sheet. So I have to chase it up!
  • Then I am also in the middle of chasing up a refund on my annual swimming card because I moved house. That has been going on since the beginning of September. 
  • I am also having to deal with damage to an antique bureau bookcase which the carrier says was the auction house & the auction house say wasn't. Another auction house is simply not responding to any communication.
  • My electrician & plumber have both disappeared into "black holes" so the work is still outstanding.
  • My energy suppliers, Scottish Power, have put me on the wrong tariff - an expensive standard tariff instead of a fixed price one, what a surprise!
  • BT have been charging my direct debit since I moved, despite my account supposedly being closed down. They haven't responded to 2 letters to their customer service address & I have spoken to 4 or 5 different people who all assured me they had it sorted.
  • I have claimed for damage to my property by my removers & they have not acknowledged or responded in any way to the claim.
  • I have an outstanding dispute with the vendor of my house over a CH boiler problem & he also doesn't respond to any communication - email or letter. He now has a summons to ignore!
In my more negative moments I feel I must have done something to invoke such a huge amount of bad Karma. On the other hand my more rational side says that generally speaking I'm a fairly reasonable & thoughtful individual who really doesn't "deserve" any of this time consuming hassle.

So what is the answer? Bloody incompetence - and I'm really fed up with it! Why can't people just behave reasonably & competently & DO THEIR JOB PROPERLY?

No comments:

Post a Comment