Search This Blog

Thursday 31 October 2013

The Mysteries of Central Heating & the County Court.

Just had my first overnight guest. As not everyone has a personal internal combustion engine like me, I tried to get the central heating to work. Unsuccessful! The plumber had said to have the boiler on constant & control the radiators by the wall & rad thermostats. Well, there isn't a wall thermostat for the top floor & switching on the rad ones did nothing whatsoever. Similarly the ground floor has underfloor heating & switching on the wall thermostat did nothing either. (As an aside, exactly what I wonder, is under the floor tiles? Is it water in pipes or electrical wires?) As I've got no instructions it's all a mystery.

Anyway, the sale agreement on the house included sorting out the boiler leak which I discovered had done permanent damage after I moved in. The vendors own plumber said the boiler was permanently damaged & would continue to overheat & cut out. Continuous re-setting wouldn't be good & the boiler needed to be replaced.

Fired up by this lack of heat I have finally issued a summons against my elusive vendor who hasn't kept his side of the bargain. Nor has he responded at all to several written communications & an offer of mediation. I have to say I am most impressed with the whole thing. It's all done on line through www.moneyclaim.gov.uk & couldn't be easier.  It really only took a few minutes & a fee of £80, which is refunded if judgement is found against my vendor.

I look forward to a response & hopefully a cheque or better still a wodge of money. Winter is coming, I need to be warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment