Search This Blog

Friday 2 July 2021

Architect - Structural Engineer - Party Wall Surveyor - Builder - The Dream Team

Today is a very special day. Oliver, my architect, & I have agreed the final plans. So he has sent them to the other members of the team so they can do their jobs. He has also sent them to the Council Planning department, although I don't need permission to go ahead. I just need to comply with building regulations.

When I started all of this I didn't think I needed an architect - I knew what I wanted to do. I thought all I needed was a builder & maybe a structural engineer for the RSJ's to support the walls. How innocent & naive, not to mention over confident! Oliver has moved my thinking on light years.

The extension I am building is something that is more in keeping with the 21st century, using modern materials & techniques. We are being true to the original 1930's house, just bringing it up to modern standards, & also true to today. We aren't creating a pastiche extension mimicking the 30's. It is more risky. There is a big difference between a 2 dimensional plan & a 3 dimensional building. I hope I love the real thing as much as the plan!

We are trying to be as environmentally aware as possible. So stuff will be recycled. We will use eco friendly materials as much as possible. The house will be well insulated to save energy.

It has taken 6 weeks to get to this stage. Several different options to consider. But it has been time well spent. What I have ended up with is so much better than what I started out to do. 

The time hasn't been wasted at my house though. Trees which blocked light at the front of the house have been cut down & I am working on the long overdue pruning of shrubs. Further necessary tree work will take place in the autumn. The gas & electricty companies have finally given me dates for moving the very old meters from inside a tiny cupboard under the stairs to outside the same wall. My lovely builder Richard has started stripping out the interior.

It is all really exciting.When I am faced with the reality of the house as it is, stripped out, I just have to keep the vision in mind. The brickwork revealed in the bathroom is shockingly bad! There is thick lime plaster & lath & plaster walls. It will get worse before it gets better. I can't wait till everyone is working on site.

Will take photos - Or possibly a video.


No comments:

Post a Comment