Search This Blog

Sunday 27 June 2021

Working with an Architect

I have never done this before. I have always seen potential in houses I have bought. The plan is more important to me than glossy photos. I have bought 6 houses in my adult life. All but one had work done on them, two were completely re-done in work that took months - About a year.

My dream has always been to start from scratch and build my own house. Renovating and building an extension is the next best thing. It is so exciting to have an architect draw up proper plans of my ideas and improve on them. To have the input of someone creative and experienced in what is possible is a joy. It makes up for the quite major frustrations of organising basic things like the moving of gas and electricity meters to an outside wall.

I have several iterations of plans. The design of the extension has moved from a conventional brick and tile, pitched roof, bigger version, of what was already there, housing a larder, outside toilet and sun room, to an all singing all dancing 21st century extension. It will have a sedum and wild flower roof. The cladding will be a standing seam metal finish painted a lovely green. It is designed to let in as much light as possible and have the garden as its focus. It will be as eco and future proof as possible within cost limitations. 

Meetings with my architect raises my spirits. It is a deeply satisfying collaboration. I think we spur eachother on. The danger is that I am so carried away I don't keep costs in the forefront of my mind. I think we are both trying to create something exceptional.

This house will be my last home. It will outlast me. I hope other people will enjoy living there benefitting from the work I have done. Most of all I hope that I will have several years to enjoy living there myself.

Shurkin Addition Standing Seam Roof

This gives you an idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment