Search This Blog

Thursday 29 July 2021

Renovating & Building

I've done this before with my homes, several times. But not for 12 years. Things have changed a lot. I have changed - older, less fit, less stamina, failing memory....However, this time I have a really nice, very competent & professional, team of people to help me - Never had that before.

I knew there would be lots of decisions, from where I want sockets, to replacement windows & doors and all things inbetween. Each choice involves finding good manufacturers & suppliers. You need catalogues & good websites - I prefer hard copy I can write on. Your choice depends on the available space, so you need very good plans, which you can read accurately. Choice is also a very subjective personal thing. In my house it's more complicated because I will have a 1930's house I'm trying to keep the character of and a very modern extension. 

What I wasn't prepared for was the amount of time each decision takes. For example the sliding sash windows - 4 companies, some who manufacture, others who buy in. Each has to do an initial view & measure, so you have to be there to discuss what you want. (One company didn't do this - quoted from plan). There is a huge benefit to this because each person you talk to gives you information & refines what you want & need. They then quote. In the meantime you need to visit the showroom to actually see the product. This involved driving miles around Oxford. There is quite a big variation in quality & detail. Finally a decision based on what you want & what you can afford.

I'm now waiting for quotes for doors & windows for the extension. What I find surprising & irritating is that I send out an email asking for quotes & get no response. So I don't know if they have received the email or if they are going to quote at all. Then I need to chase to find out....

At the same time I've moved on to bathrooms. So many individual items to decide on. Very practical issues to consider - will I be able to turn the taps / shower on? My hands aren't good & may well get worse. I also need to think about pathways. Will I use a stick in future & need more space to move around? Future proofing isn't easy.

At one level all of this is exciting. If I get this right my house will be perfect for my needs. Hopefully my money won't run out, so I can do what I would like to. 

At another level I'm really tired at the end of the day. I can only do so much before my batteries expire & pain dominates my thinking. (Driving, sitting at the computer, pouring over plans & brochures is bad for my neck & back). 

But despite all this I am very lucky to be able to do this. So many people aren't as fortunate. Our housing situation is truly dire. Both Government & big building companies really need to get their act together. We are building a lot of rubbish. But it's rubbish a lot of people simply cannot afford. Other European countries do so much better.

Why can't we?

Building Permit Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

No comments:

Post a Comment