Search This Blog

Saturday 11 May 2019

Face the Fear

I've just bought an automatic transmission car after driving a manual car for over 50 years. My thinking was that, given that my body is definitely wearing out, I would be better off not having to change gear. (A left shoulder rotator cuff injury a couple of years ago keeps resurfacing).

I had driven an automatic in America a very long time ago & the salesman did go through the "how to" instructions. But it was at the end of a long buying process with a lot of information & form signing. My brain was on overload.

So the first problem was facing the fear of actually driving it home. I managed not to hit anything, especially when manouvering into my very narrow carport. Then I tried to get the key out of the ingition. It wouldn't come out. I had the shame of having to ring the saleman. It's a safety feature. You can't get the key out unless the car is in P (Park). Who knew?

Days went by & the car sat in the carport in splendid isolation. I just didn't want to face reversing out & driving away. In the end I decided that I was being ridiculous & needed to just face the fear & do it.

I got in & tried to start it. Nothing happened. You have to have the gear in P (Park) & your foot on the brake in order to start the engine. I may have been told that but I didn't remember. I had to get out of the car & do what I should have done in the first place - read the manual.

What would be helpful, instead of a big book with instructions for both manual & automatic cars, plus instructions for intelligent or non intelligent keys, would be a simple Key Points flow chart for starting & stopping.

There is an art to writing instructions, but sadly very few manufacturers have mastered it.

So I've contacted a couple of driving schools to arrange an automatic driving lesson. While I'm at it I'm going to re-learn how to reverse. I live in fear of having to do that because I know that my crumbling neck limits turning my head. (Yes I do know that I should use the wing mirrors & I do try).

All in all, my message is that whatever your fears are it's no good hiding from them. They aren't going to go away, they will just nag at you.

Be brave - Face the Fear. Every time you do your confidence will increase.
Make the jump! Courage overcoming fear

No comments:

Post a Comment