Search This Blog

Thursday 30 May 2019

Complexity - My Life

I was born in 1945. I don't remember a lot about my childhood, but it certainly wasn't complex. Neither was my adolescence - just the "normal", for the time, period of growing towards adulthood.

My 20's, 30's & 40's passed in a continuum of family & professional life, which was incredibly busy & sometimes stressful, but on the whole, again, not complex. Things were relatively straightforward.

So I'm trying to decide when life became complex. I think it was in the 90's. A lot changed then. For a start the Web had been invented in 1989. https://blazepress.com/2014/03/25-years-internet-stuff-happened-year-web-invented/

I can remember saying that I couldn't see the point of computers. I can also remember going on a course for teachers when BBC Micros were given to primary schools in the 1980's. I ended the day putting a sticker on the screen saying "This Computer doesn't understand me". The whole thing was beyond me & I wanted nothing to do with them.

Now I love my computer & spend far too much time on it. My life is on my computer & my smart phone. If I were confined to the house I could easily happily exist & do most things. However I would be quite isolated.

But the drawbacks are huge. The internet can be a force for great good & is also all consuming. We live in an age of exponential technological change. The only simple thing in my life is swimming. Everything else usually spirals into complexity. I have access to information on an industrial scale. I have to accept incessant change. I never stand still. The world is full of conflicting information - This is the "Post Truth" era. I always seem to be busy sorting out my life.

I would quite like to get off the roundabout. I would enjoy peace & calm & stability. I want the world to stand still for a moment so I can enjoy it. I get tired of noise & constant stimulation. It isn't just the difference between my urban & rural life. It's much more than that.

We humans are in danger of running ourselves ragged. We have no time for reflection & the enjoyment of simple pleasures. I look at children & young people & I am beginning to actually be really concerned for them. This is the new normal for them.

It's not normal to me.
Image result for peaceful images 

No comments:

Post a Comment