Search This Blog

Friday 7 June 2019

Bionic Woman - My Pacemaker & Me

I had a pacemaker fitted in 2009. https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/treatments/pacemakers  So I've been Bionic for 10 years.

Now it's got to be replaced. Without it I would be I trouble & I think I can tell that it needs replacing. I'm getting some weird symptoms which could well be attributable to the heart conditions I've got.

I have Complete Heart Block / Arrhythmia / Bradycardia - Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrullation & a Floppy Mitral Valve. Once again evidence that God had an off day when she made me! Why have only one heart problem when you can have a whole set?!

Anyway the message is good. The surgery is fine. You are awake & only have a local anesthetic. That said, all you can feel is fairly strong pressure as they push the device firmly into the shoulder. It did seem to be a tight fit & went on for some time, but it really isn't a problem. I think I remember  feeling the wiring going into the heart, but I'm not sure. Fortunately that doesn't have to be replaced - only the actual pacemaker box.

I find the whole thing amazing. The technology, the skill of the surgeons & the fact that someone invented this relatively small device that can keep me alive & kicking, (well, maybe not actually kicking). It is battery operated. So, presumably, am I.
Image result for Pacemakers 

It sounds so worrying, heart surgery, but this really isn't. It's quite simple, it doesn't take that long & it works. The amazingly named William Greatbatch, an American electrical engineer, invented the first implantable one in 1958. So there has been plenty of time for them to be sure they work & iron out any little glitches! Always reassuring - my pioneering spirit doesn't stretch as far as trying one out for the first time. 

I look forward to 10 more years of a perfectly beating heart! Not everyone can say that. Good old NHS.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete