Search This Blog

Saturday 3 March 2018

Geko Theatre Company @ the Playhouse Oxford

I'm really lucky - I'm a volunteer usher at the Playhouse.

Last night I ushered for Geko's "The Wedding" created by their artistic director Amit Lahav.
http://geckotheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/FionnJump_Credit_RichardHaighton-WEB-1024x683.jpg

If I tell you that the dialogue is in many different languages & there is very little English, you may be put off. If I tell you that I only understood a few of the themes of the production - birth, marriage, divorce, work, refugees, you might think twice about going out in this weather & paying good money to see it. If I tell you that score was a complete mix of musical themes, which was very loud at times you might think it wasn't for you.  

You would be wrong - Trust me. It is utterly brilliant. Both very sad & hilariously funny - (the suitcase episode is idiosyncratic & very clever). The finale, with the whole cast clapping & stamping rhythmically got the audience on it's feet. In between the cast took us on an exploration of themes through dance, which reminded me very much of my Laban training at college. https://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/about-us/our-history/rudolf-laban
The choreography & execution were amazing.
http://geckotheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Wedding-9-17-1600-WEB-1024x683.jpg

Oxford is very priveleged to have a theatre which is prepared to put on productions which challenge the audience. It's easy to show crowd pleasers & old favourites. That's the way to rake in the cash. I've seen productions that I probably wouldn't have bought tickets for if I'm honest. But however the season is chosen & by whom, I have to say that I have hardly ever seen a bad show.

It's the final night tonight. If there are tickets left GO! Get the free programme to really understand Geko & "The Wedding"



No comments:

Post a Comment