Search This Blog

Friday 23 March 2018

Exit Brexit? - Peston - Hutton & Adonis

I went to the Oxford Literary Festival this week. On Tuesday I listened to Robert Peston - Absolutely Brilliant & most entertaining! Also very intelligent & well informed, basing his opinions on credible evidence.

Peston suggested that another Brexit referendum would cause serious unrest in the millions who voted leave if that vote were overturned.
Leave - 17,410,742 - 51.89%       Remain 16,141,241 - 48.11%
I imagine that's true, unless the second referendum asked a very different question. The original question was "Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?" That, with hindsight, seems far too simplistic. There is an argument that the No voters were giving our politicians a good kicking more than expressing a view on Brexit itself. Rightly so in my opinion.

Peston thinks that the UK will undoubtedly be poorer after Brexit. Also, perhaps more worryingly, it will take 15 - 25 years for us to climb out of the Doldrums. That after 10 years of Austerity is not something I want to contemplate. Seemingly austerity might be nothing in comparison to the economic chaos we might experience. I haven't read his new book WTF - (yes that is what the title means), but I will.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/nov/24/robert-peston-interview-im-not-saying-britain-is-finished-but-our-current-problems-are-not-a-blip

Today it was Lord Andrew Adonis & Will Hutton. Not so charismatic, but interesting nevertheless.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/04/andrew-adonis-launches-drive-reverse-brexit-second-referendum 
The plan is to get 16/17 year olds the vote in a possible referendum on the actual terms of our Brexit agreement with the EU, because it will be their future & they are likely to vote to stay in the EU.

Apparently there is now something called the "Shit Life Syndrome", which goes some way towards explaining why so many people thought that voting yes to Brexit might make their lives better. It won't, but they need some hope that things can get better.

I voted remain. I haven't changed my view. I do respect the fact of the referendum vote, but believe that we were lied to & many people didn't understand what would be involved in leaving. I would be pleased if we could have a more informed vote on the actual terms of the Brexit agreement when we know them. I no longer trust our politicians to make decisions in the best interests of the whole UK in the long term.

I would like everyone to have a democratic choice based on evidence based fact.


















    


No comments:

Post a Comment