Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Chronic Pain - A User Guide.

Chronic pain - pain lasting more than 12 weeks, often persisting for months or even years. (Acute pain - short term & often alerts us to possible injury). 

Why am I writing about this? Because I have had chronic pain since I was 11. So now, 62 years later, I think I know what I'm talking about. It doesn't really matter what started my chronic pain - initially it happened to be dreadful period pains & Migraine. Period pain which meant I was doubled up in agony or fainted with the pain. Migraine which caused visual disturbance, unbearable headaches & nausea. I had to be in a silent, dark, room for at least a day & afterwards I felt wretched. I simply couldn't function with either & it happened every month until I had a baby at 23.

In my late 20's, just when I thought I could be a normal, pain free, human being I started a chronic back problem. Probably occupational - too much bending down or kneeling to Primary children. One day I simply couldn't get out of my car. Osteoarthritis.

Then in my 40's I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & CFS. I was told by medics I would have to "learn to live with it" & I was "creating my own pain". (As the pain was waking me up from sleep I thought that was a little difficult - A Psychologist agreed with me). At the time I was very angry with the response of the medics. Now I realise that they simply did not know what to do. They couldn't cure me. In a way the first one was right. People who have chronic pain do have to learn the skills to deal with their condition in the best way for them. In my view the role of the medics is to signpost patients to things which might help.

Most doctors haven't had much training for dealing with pain. According to a study reported by the BMJ - "Documented pain teaching in many European medical schools falls far short of what might be expected given the prevalence and public health burden of pain".
http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/8/e006984?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BMJOp_TrendMD-0

In my 70's, I was diagnosed with Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome, which woke me from sleep about every hour through the night, so I didn't get deep, restful sleep. It's an absolute pain - in every sense. (I've just had ultrasound guided Steroid injections in each hip. So far it's a minor miracle. But it wouldn't have happened had I not asked to be referred back to the Pain Clinic).

The thing is I have learned, by trial & error, what works for me & what doesn't. It has cost me money over the years, becuase it is mostly alternative therapies which helped. I have probably tried everything. Accupuncture, Osteopathy, Massage, Relaxation, Meditation, CBT,  have all worked at one point or another. Currently I'm trying Hypnotherapy. Fortunately I can afford to pay, which seems unfair.

I know that usually I will have to pay a price for doing something I want to do. I may be in pain, I may be fatigued, it might take me a couple of days to recover. Mostly I pace myself & try not to overdo it. There will come a point every day when I have to stop & be horizontal.

However I feel, I swim 4-5 times a week - Half an hour - Half a mile. I always feel better afterwards. I try to walk, but that is more painful than swimming & I can no longer go far. I need to be sure I will have enough energy to get back. I'm like the bunny without the Duracell batteries. I can't carry very much at all.

I pop prescribed pills. Far more than I ever thought I would. I make sure I read the leaflets & really know what I'm taking. I try not to stay on anything for too long because of the possibility of addiction. Long term use often means an increasing dose. That's not good. There are always alternatives. If I knew a friendly drug dealer I would smoke Cannabis.

I have been lucky & unlucky with medics. I have had two really good ones, both women. They treated me as a sentient being & it was a proper partnership. They listened & we decided what the best course of action was at the time.

If you have chronic pain you aren't going to get better. You need to be pro-active. You need to be knowledgable about your conditions & what treatments are available. There is no excuse. You are responsible for your own health. So long as you choose reputable sources, everything you need to know is on the internet.

Medics are over stretched. They have a lot of patients. They are human beings with lives of their own. The NHS is struggling because of an increasing patient load, lack of professionals, lack of facilities & resources. It isn't going to get better any time soon.

So be responsible for yourself. Make sure you get the best that is on offer. Be assertive & ask the right questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment