Search This Blog

Saturday 6 August 2016

Happenstance

"Chance or a chance situation, especially one producing a good result." 

I vacuumed downstairs yesterday. Ageing means that I end up knackered & with backache. So I lay down on my bed & listened to Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 after I'd finished. One of  Jilly Cooper's choices was Mendelssohn's Elijah Oratorio, which I have never heard before. It was beautiful & I will make the effort to listen to the whole thing. Sheer Fluke.

A friend K.... had her 70th recently. Instead of buying her an unwanted present I donated some money to a charity of her choice. When my bank statement came, one transaction looked suspicious & I didn't recognise it. To cut to the chase, it was the charity, but checking it out I made contact with the mother of a very ill little boy O..... We have been in touch via email & I have been able to help her a bit. Again, completely unplanned.

Often the things that happen randomly seem really surprising. I think we all need to let go a bit & accept that we don't control the universe. Coincidence, luck - good & bad, happenstance, it's all part of  life. 

If we knew what was going to happen as a result of random choices & events life would be very boring. We really should try to treasure every moment & be open to different paths. 




No comments:

Post a Comment