Search This Blog

Monday 8 August 2016

Facebook - Networking & Lifestyle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

I imagine this Blog may well make me very unpopular.

I have been in Facebook for about 7 years. I joined because I hoped to contct some people I had lost touch with & keep in touch with people I don't see often. I think it serves a really useful purpose in linking friends & has become a great tool for social & political action - The "Arab Spring" for example.

Most of my "Friends" are around my age, although I do have some much younger ones. I do actually know all of my "Friends" unlike many sad people for whom it's all about numbers. Several "Friends" post really interesting links. Some don't seem to post at all - although that may well be because I haven't done something I should have in order to see what they are posting. It still seems to me that Facebook runs on magic. I really don't understand how it all works.

Here comes the unpopular bit.

I don't understand why people post some of the things they do. Much seems totally boring & uninteresting - shallow & superficial even. Why would I be interested in the fact that someone is in a coffee shop? Why would I want to waste precious time on pointless quizzes, pictures of cute animals, & unfunny jokes?

I don't understand how people have the time to post these things. Don't they have better things to do? I just delete them immediately.

I am interested in what my "Friends" are doing at home & at work, in their family events, in their opinions & achievements for example. I also get some really interesting links which inform & broaden my understanding.

It's all really a mystery to me. International Companies have realised the potential for making money though. If they can get "placement" on people's posts it's all free advertising. Even better if it's a "Selfie" - "A picture is worth a thousand words".

When, & why, did the world become so self absorbed?

No comments:

Post a Comment