Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Olympic Achievement

How wonderful to see years of training result in success. That may be a medal, but it is also simply being sufficiently skilled to take part at championship level. I am so impressed with the joyousness of the Olympics even though I'm not a particular fan.

What a pity it always descends into niggling carping - today about the sucess of our cycling team who have done so well. Hopefully it won't spoil each person's memories & individual achievement.

On a much more mundane level - I went to Kew with my daughter & grandsons yesterday. They were keen to do the aerial walkway through the treetops. I didn't anticipate participating because I have had a lifelong problem with heights & used to simply freeze - on cantilevered staircases for example.

Over the years the fear has lessened as I have managed to do more. Psychologists use gradual exposure to the source of the fear to cure such phobias.

My 11 year old grandsons simply couldn't understand the fear & phobia, because it is so irrational. (I suspect they are both quite fearless). Loads of people were doing it & they weren't plunging to the ground. They were both really kind & supportive - encouraging me, holding my hand, telling me where to put my feet for the illusion of more support.

In the end I decided I had to do it because what sort of a role model would I be if I gave in to irrational fear & took the easy way out?

Achievement is the result of mind & body working together symbiotically. "Whatsoever the mind can conceive & believe it can achieve". Our Olympics men & women have shown that to the world. Isn't that a great example?

No comments:

Post a Comment