Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2016

Talking to Yourself

I talk aloud to myself & to inanimate objects. Usually when I am frustrated. Along the lines of "for goodness sake", "oh God" or something a Granny really shouldn't say. I do also try to give myself positive encouragement when faced with something daunting & / or stressful. Along the lines of "you coped with 2009, this is a doddle in comparison". Usually these messages are internal not spoken aloud. Sometimes I remind myself that I am a grown adult, a competent & intelligent woman & not someone to be messed with.

I believe, very strongly, that "Self Talk" is really important & can govern your whole life for better or worse. This is not an ability I was born with. It is a hard won lesson I have learned. As a child & adolescent I was very lacking in confidence & eager to please others at the expense of my own needs.

Many people, women in particular, frequently give themselves negative messages. We all listen to that insidious voice in our head & because we are talking to ourselves, we believe the message learned over years.

The good thing is that the tape can be rewound & over recorded. The brain can be re-programmed & learn a new mantra.

Mahatma Gandhi said it better than I ever could:-

"Keep your Thoughts positive because your thoughts become your Words.
Keep your words positive because your words become your Behaviour.
Keep your behaviour positive because your behaviour becomes your Habits.
Keep your habits positive because your habits become your Values.
Keep your values positive because your values become your Destiny."


No comments:

Post a Comment