Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 June 2016

Referendum Aftermath

It's done. It's history  & history will make a judgement as to the rights & wrongs. The Buddhist concept known as anicca states that impermanence is an undeniable and inescapable fact of human existence from which nothing that belongs to this earth is ever free. Change happens - get used to it.

However much media & press comment & speculation there is. However many political careers are made or broken by this. However many people suffer as a consequence. However many people become richer. This is the reality.

The only thing we can hope for is that decision making is considered & wise & self interest is absent. 

I don't see much sign that this will be the case. What I see is mob rule. Mob rule in the extreme right with their xenophobia, isolationism & hate. Mob rule in the British politicical elite on both sides of the political divide. Mob rule in the game of football. Mob rule in the dreadful conflicts in various parts of the world.

Paraphrased quote - Holly Baxter - Independent - 22nd June

"I don’t fear immigration; I fundamentally support the idea of open borders, think we should take in far more refugees and know that our economy would collapse without a steady influx of immigrant labour to work as nurses, teachers, scientific researchers and many more besides.

What I fear is a Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his government-in-waiting, comprising Iain Duncan Smith, Michael Gove and Priti Patel – the right-wing of the right-wing, the most ideologically conservative UK government that’s ever stood on the brink of power in my lifetime.

What I really don’t like is the idea that the people who would suffer most in a recession after Brexit would be working class people, whose rights in work could be swept away as protective EU legislation is removed, and who will be on the front line of jobs cuts, salary stagnation and rising costs of living. I don’t like the idea that Johnson and his gang of Brexiteers will have achieved exactly what they wanted for the benefit of their political careers, and will unlikely have to suffer the economic consequences of their actions".

When Rupert Murdoch was asked why he opposed the EU, he replied: “That’s easy. I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.” That says it all I think.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment