Search This Blog

Friday 9 January 2015

Gymnastic Granny

Currently I'm doing 4 swims, (38 lengths / half a mile / 35 minutes) and 3 Gyms, ( 10 mins treadmill, 5 machines circuit training, up to 10 mins cross trainer),  a week. No problem! I'm also supposed to be doing exercises at home regularly - haven't managed them once yet! How pathetic is that? So this afternoon I'm going to try Pilates as an alternative.

The thing is it all takes up so much time. Walking there & back, changing and showering. (I am very clean though & saving on my water bills). It's about one & a half hours a day, so it breaks up every day of the week. A morning or an afternoon more or less gone.

On top of that there's an osteopath session once a week.

All this to try to build up wasted muscles, improve movement, get rid of stiffness & reduce pain. If it works it will undoubtedly be worthwhile. If it doesn't I suppose I will be fitter. So I do my best.

It's fascinating watching the people in the gym at the same time as me. We are so variable. There are the super cool, super fit young adults plugged into their Ipods. The men in particular give the impression of little or no effort. (Unsurprising considering their muscled torso's). At the other end of the scale there are the oldies like me puffing & sweating & grimacing with the pain & effort. In the middle are the teenagers there for the fun of it and a gossip.

As the song says "I will survive". Dying of a heart attack in public simply isn't an option!


No comments:

Post a Comment