Search This Blog

Friday 30 January 2015

Beggars on the Streets

I was in Oxford town centre this week & I walked past a young woman sitting in a doorway begging. I didn't give her any money, nor did I speak to her. I didn't have the time. Crowds of people surged past her like a tide, as though she simply wasn't there. I did wonder what had brought her to be in that situation at her age. It was bitterly cold and I doubt anyone would chose to do that.

On my way back I intended to stop and talk to her to find out a bit more. When I reached her she was talking on a mobile phone and smoking. Her dog was sitting patiently next to her.

I carried on. In that split second I had been judgemental. How could she afford to smoke & feed a dog & have a mobile phone? If she could afford those things why should I give her money? She was young & presumably fit to work at something.

I am conflicted. I don't believe in giving money to individual beggars. Will what I give change anything for people who are presumably destitute & possibly homeless? Will I be supplying the means for them to continue with destructive and addictive behaviours? I would rather give to organisations who can ensure that the money is spent wisely and helps as many as possible.

On the other hand there are so many young people who have left home for one reason or another. Many feel the unknown is better than the known abusive & disfunctional home they left. Many, not all, don't have the education or skills to be employable. Many have psychological problems. Many have been and are being abused. What can and should be done about this?

In a developed and wealthy society there should be enough clean and safe places for the flotsam and jetsam of society to find real help. Not just shelter, food & the means to be clean. Someone to talk to. Help to find a job or the benefits they need if they can't work. Help to find a home.

 We should care. It could so easily be my daughter. If it was my daughter I would care. More importantly I would do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment