Search This Blog

Friday 20 September 2013

On being ignored.

In this day and age people's "moral compass" seems to be more than 360 degrees. I am definitely morphing into a really grumpy old woman & will probably end up talking to myself or shouting aloud in the street.

Moving house is a frustrating minefield of problems, large & small, some fixable & some you just have to live with. I have finally, after 3 weeks, had to get my solicitor to write to the solicitor of my vendor, because he is ignoring emails & letters & hasn't done some of the maintenance that was agreed for the sale to proceed. Similarly my purchasers owe me quite a lot of money for things I left behind for them, which were not fixtures & fittings & they too are ignoring a letter & my emails. I try to treat people with respect & I expect them to respect me too. I find it really hard to understand how people can just knowingly ignore the right & fair thing to do. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur & am becoming extinct.

Oxford is full of tourists & students. Both species move around in packs. A pavement is only a certain width. If the pack are communicating they occupy the whole width of the pavement oblivious to the fact that there is an approaching, different, solitary, species. Obviously their antenna are malfunctioning. Or, possibly it really is true that after a certain age we become invisible. I may have to wear "dayglo" outfits or make noises as I approach them.

Finally there is the queue. Not having used public transport much in rural Berkshire or Gloucestershire I often find it difficult to work out where the front and back of the queue should be, especially in bus shelters. So I guess. If I am one of the first, I then seem to end up rammed up against the shelter wall by later arrivals. Again I must be wearing my invisibility cloak. The young simply can't see me.

I think I should cultivate bad habits like spitting, farting, belching & mumbling. Possibly there may be an advantage in not bathing too often either, or eating a lot of garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment