Search This Blog

Saturday 7 November 2020

Doubt

To be uncertain about, consider questionable or unlikely. Lack of confidence - Distrust. Inclination not to believe or accept. A state of affairs giving rise to uncertainty, hesitation, or suspense which often interferes with decision making. 

Great! I know what it is. But it's a feeling I wasn't familiar with before. I am in many contexts nowadays. I thought I knew what is important, what is true, how I should behave, who to believe, who to trust. Almost all of those things have been tossed aside in so many areas of life today. 

I doubt that God exists, I doubt that politicians have my interests & the interests of the world I live in at heart. I doubt that many of my fellow humans care about anything other than self interest. I doubt that the very hard choices confronting us will be made in time to save the world as we know it. I doubt that my Grandsons will benefit from a life as secure as mine has been. I doubt that poverty, famine, inequality, injustice, war & pestilence will cease for millions of people. I doubt that the rich will suddely see that they have an  obligation to spread their wealth more equally & be truly philanthropic. I doubt that we will see the light & stop raping the planet of it's finite resources. I doubt that the unsustainability of the constant mantra of growth & consumerism will cease. I doubt that multinational companies will see the light & work to benefit anyone other than their shareholders & senior managers.

I doubt so many things. I also doubt my ability to solve any of this.

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/57/74/475538537-Quote-on-Doubt-and-confidence.jpg

But I don't doubt that I should do my very best to do something. I should not just sit back & say the problems are too big. I alone can't make any difference.

I don't doubt that one voice & one action can become many voices & many actions. A voice in the wilderness can become a multitude fighting for what is right. Many hands make light work. 

We humans are clever, resourceful, beings. We have technology on our side. We can change our destructive patterns of behaviour.

But there really isn't much time.

No comments:

Post a Comment