Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Inhibitions - Personal & Political

I wouldn't go naked down the street - (It's one of my recurring nightmares. I wonder what that reveals). I wouldn't deliberately hurt someone physically or emotionally. I wouldn't be rude or inconsiderate. I would try very hard not to lie.

I'm probably quite outgoing & sociable. But I do have inhibitions, some of which I'm not prepared to reveal here.

I would actively try to inhibit someone else from crossing the boundaries of behaviour which I hold dear. If I didn't I would be tacitly accepting them as normal & within the range of social behaviour.

Inhibitions allow a social group to function well. Inhibitions also play an important role in conditioning and learning, because people must learn to restrain certain instinctual behaviours or previously learned patterns in order to master new patterns which are more acceptable.

That is why I am completely amazed & concerned by what is happening in our country & around the world. We seem to be living in a time when many of those in power have lost their inhibitions & feel no compunction to behave well or in the interests of those they govern.

Lies, deceit, ill manners, self interest, abuse of power & worse, all seem to be the norm. Peter Hennessy's "Good Chap" politics disappeared completely from the British parliament with this current Conservative government. Last night was the culmination of the total degredation of democratic government.

I am ashamed to be British. I am ashamed of the way the "mother of parliaments" has been debased. 

Democracy is in it's death throes because of the lack of all that makes it a workable principle. Principles & inhibition have ceased to exist widely enough for governments to be unable to govern.

I recently ushered for "Posh" at the Playhouse Oxford. As far as I can see the Bullingdon Club still rules at the Conservative party. Until that attitude of entitlement disappears I could never vote for them.
The Bullingdon Club

 

No comments:

Post a Comment