Search This Blog

Thursday 5 September 2019

Now - A Single moment

My whole life changed in two single moments in 2009.

Firstly on my birthday in January I had a phone call, whilst in Madeira, to say that two thirds of my house had been inundated by a water escape from the loft & everything was destroyed.

Secondly in June my husband was terminally injured in a freak accident.

Since then I have been much more aware of the importance of moments. We all tend to live taking tomorrow for granted. We don't fully value today & what we have now, this minute. Buddhists call awareness of moments Mindfulness & learn to meditate so that they can be fully conscious of now. That takes effort & commitment, so it's hard to achieve.

I have been watching the political situation around the world all my adult life. Now defining political moments seem to be happening thick & fast, both here & abroad. So fast you can hardly register one before the whole picture changes. It is dizzying & very worrying. Now is unique in my lifetime.

Everything seems very negative & bleak if you follow the media who tend to mainly report "bad news".

I have to believe that things can change for the better. I have to believe that the Now I will leave for my grandchildren will be better than this Now. It is quite hard to remain an optimist in a climate of fear, when all around us the world seems to be disintegrating.

All the complex questions are political in some way or other. Many politicians aren't up to the job or are in it for their own self serving reasons. But many do really want to make change for the better happen.

We just have to hope that the good ones triumph - Now. Or it might be too late.
Brexit cartoon with Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May

No comments:

Post a Comment