Search This Blog

Sunday 6 August 2017

A Patients Journey - 6

Two months on from surgery I went swimming for the first time on Friday. No real problem, I did half the lengths that I would normally do. I was almost on my knees by the time I walked home though. Now I need to build up my muscle strength & stamina.

My dissolvable stitches didn't. I pulled the last one off last night. Fortunately it didn't bleed much. I think the spray on skin may stop the stitches dissolving.

No infection, just a bit of intermittant spotting.

I haven't heard anything about the biopsy results, so I assume that's good news. Presumably they would contact me if there was anything to be concerned about.

All good news then. Just under three weeks to get in shape for my month working in Malawi & the very long, (2 day) flights.

The miracle of modern surgery shouldn't be taken for granted. We have anasthetics, drugs for pain relief, skilled medics, wonderful hospitals - All free at point of need.  But for how long? Privatisation is already worming it's way into state provision at the behest of a Conservative Government who believe that is competetive & will save them money. Instead of looking to the USA & copying, they should look below the surface & interrogate what is really happening to patients there.

It is the patient that matters. Not the medical hierarchy, politicians, or company CEO's. I've been fortunate - A lot of people aren't.


http://www.wolfescape.com/Humour/MedThumbs/TrustTheseSurgeons.gif


No comments:

Post a Comment