Search This Blog

Saturday 5 August 2017

Malawi - Possibility of non Return

Like I have said - I plan for all eventualities. So I had a conversation with my daughter & son in law about the possibility of me not coming back under my own steam. (I've already mentioned the amount of medication I'm taking in the last Post!).

I obviously didn't phrase it well. She got quite upset. I just wanted to avoid her having to go through the business of going out there & collecting me & dealing with all the paperwork. It's not going to be much fun is it?
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/death-and-wills/what-to-do-if-someone-dies-abroad/

Ever practical, I thought, have me cremated out there & get them to send me back in a jar, on a plane.  Then have a lovely memorial service celebrating my life, with all my friends extolling my many virtues. (Well I can dream can't I - my failings aren't compulsory).

Anyway she thinks that she would want to go out to get me. And I am touched. That is real love & devotion.

It made me think how people differ in how they view death. I don't believe in anything to come. When I'm gone I'm gone. So the funeral service isn't for me, it's for the people I love to say goodbye in the way they choose & close the chapter of their lives that has me in it.

I would like to know how I have impacted on people - what they think of me. But that isn't going to happen. I won't be floating in the ether somewhere listening in, (which is a pity because I think we should tell people, while they are here, how much we love / like them & what they do that p.....us off).

Anyway - hopefully none of this will come to pass. I will return & bore people rigid with tales of Malawi & everything I've seen & done.

Actually that might mean I have less friends when my funeral does arrive.
First I was dying to finish high school and start college
And then I was dying to finish college and start working
And then I was dying to marry and have children
And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so they could go to school so I could go back to work
And then I was dying to retire
And now...I am dying .... and suddenly I realize I forgot to live.
Anon

Not me. This is me living!


No comments:

Post a Comment