Search This Blog

Thursday 16 March 2017

Fully Functioning?

We humans take so much for granted. We have the most unbelievable bodies & brain. A complex system which can never be matched by a machine, however intelligent & complex. It isn't until something goes wrong that we realise just how reliant we are on it all working properly.

My brain definitely isn't. 10 days on from the accident & concussion I still can't remember almost all of Monday 6th.The swelling has gone. The black & blue Panda eyes are back to normal. I'm optimistic I won't have a permanent vertical scar line down my forhead & nose.

I am nervous about walking about outside. I've lost my confidence & I'm concerned I won't see something & will have an accident. I've morphed from a hare into a tortoise. In short I've become an old lady overnight. I've become obsessive about writing things down. We all have memory lapses as we get older. We all set off to do something & forget what it was & have to re-trace our steps. That's normal. This is different. Unless I write things down I won't remember. I can almost feel a thought drifting away. I try to grasp it but it has gone like a butterfly. Sometimes it comes back, but not always eg Naan bread - could not remember what it is called!

The x Rays yesterday confirmed that my shoulder isn't broken. But I struggle to use my left arm. Showering, washing my hair, dressing & undressing is difficult. I can't drive yet because I can't change gear. My neck & back is painful too. I know I just have to give it all time. Older people just don't recover as quickly as the young. At least I'm a more patient patient now I'm older & accept what I can't change. Thank God for strong Co-Codamol.

On the plus side I went swimming for the first time today. The GP said to try if the arm wasn't broken. I can do breast stroke & scull on my back. I can't do my normal back crawl though. It was just really nice to get out of the house & meet people I know at the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment