Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Grey Days & Pools of Sunshine

Having lived in very rural areas for 24 years, living in a city is very different. I do miss the open vistas of sky & countryside & the feeling that you are part of the seasons. You can see the weather coming - good or bad.

Yesterday morning I was walking to the swimming pool & as I turned the corner onto the main street in Summertown I was greeted by a lovely sight. One side of the main road is planted with Ginko trees. There must have been a frost on Monday night & they had all simultaneously shed most of their leaves, which were a beautiful golden yellow. So the base of each tree was a pool of bright sunshine. It was a lovely sight, and very unusual. I don't remember seeing it last year. It cheered me up immensely.

All my walking now is on pavements, which I find much less comfortable than country footpaths. It seems harder on the feet & legs. Maybe it's just that there isn't the distraction of a view. There is also the fact that the pavements in Oxford often have a camber to one side so you seem to walk on a sideways slope, which is tiring. They also undulate because the curbs are removed so people can park their cars in their drive. All of this makes walking wearing for me. It must be much worse for people with walkers, pushchairs or those electric vehicles though.

I don't suppose there is an answer, and there are compensations to living in a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment